Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sociologic Perspective #1


Yesterday in my sociology class, we watched a video or “Ted Talk” by a man named Sam Richards. His video was all about how we as people need to use empathy. Empathy being that we need to step out of our own shoes, and step into another person’s  shoes, and just try to see things from their point of view. We as people tend to be self-centered, selfish, and not care about other people. To kind of give an example of this, Richards talked about the people in Iraq and their oil. He talked about how we as Americans, didn’t say anything about when the terrorists were terrorizing their country’s people. But the second that oil became a thing, we sent troops over by the thousands. But to the people in Iraq, we aren’t there for just oil. We’re there to force Christianity upon them, and get rid of the Muslim religion. How would we feel as Americans if we stepped into the Iraqis shoes and saw their point of view about us Americans. The media plays a big part in this. The media is very notorious for saying the things that we want to hear, and not saying what we should hear. So what I’m trying to say is that I agree with what Richards was saying. I believe that we need to step out of our shoes, and consider how other people may perceive different situations.

My teacher also had us look at how we see ourselves fit into society. Well, I see myself fitting into the big picture of society as a regular, hardworking middle class American. I do hope that I do something memorable in life, but I’ll be just fine with my life no matter what happens. I plan to go to college, get my education, and live my life out as a physical therapist, and or athletic trainer. But if that’s not what I’m going to be able to do, then that is just fine. I’ll live my life out no matter what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment